NEW HYDE PARK, NY – Orangetheory Fitness – a rapidly growing boutique fitness franchise – is now open in New Hyde Park. The Greater New Hyde Park Chamber of Commerce held a ribbon cutting ceremony Friday.
According to the Chamber of Commerce, this is Orangetheory’s third franchise location at 1706 Lakeville Rd. For owners Baldur and Marian Dujmovits. Their other locations are in Carle Place and Garden City Park. Patch has asked officials for a comment.
Since its inception in 2010, Orangetheory has taken the fitness industry by storm. Unlike most traditional gyms, Orangetheory offers one-hour full-body high-intensity interval training (HIIT) on treadmills, rowing machines and on the floor with weights.
Ed Stone Photography
Each member has a heart rate monitor – worn either on the arm or across the chest – which provides real-time results on large screens throughout the studio.
A member’s heart rate falls into one of five zones:
- # 1 The gray area (50-60% max heart rate) – very light activity
- # 2 The blue zone (61-70% max heart rate) – usually observed while warming up and cooling down
- # 3 The green zone (71-83% max heart rate) – a challenging but doable pace at which your body begins to burn fat and carbohydrates evenly, according to Orange Theory
- # 4 The orange zone (84-91% max. Heart rate) – the goal is to accumulate 12 minutes or more in this zone according to the Orangetheory in order to achieve maximum calorie burn up to 36 hours after training
- # 5 The red zone (92-100% max. Heart rate) – can be achieved if you “empty the tank” or if you give it your all
Orangetheory has more than 1,200 locations in the United States – including a dozen on Long Island. Other locations are Bethpage, Merrick, Syosset, Hewlett and Port Washington.