Lori Taylor from The Produce Moms joined us today with a range of recipes from Mushroom Kaprese Kebabs to Portabella Steak! She says her portabella steak is the perfect vegan steak substitute or just a delicious recipe for portabella mushrooms. So juicy and delicious; The shape and size of the meaty portabellas make them perfect for the grill. You can serve it as a main course or as a filling side dish with every meal.
- 4 Monterey® Grill-A-Bella® Caps, whole or 1-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- Preheat the grill (or oven) to 375 ° F.
- Mix all ingredients and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Grill (or bake) for 15 minutes or until cap is tender.
- 2 cups of balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup of brown sugar
From small family gatherings to big summer barbecues, make as many or as few skewers as you want by doubling or tripling the recipe.
1. If you marinate your own mushrooms and don’t buy them pre-made, follow our recipe for marinated mushrooms at home or replace fresh whole mushrooms with our Monte’s mushroom marinade.
2. Make your balsamic glaze. * Bring a saucepan to medium heat and add your balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a slow boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the icing is reduced by half, usually about 20 minutes. You know it’s done when it’s stuck to a wooden spoon. Let cool down.
* Save time by purchasing a pre-made balsamic glaze if you wish!
3. While the balsamic glaze is cooling, wash the sprigs of rosemary and tomatoes. Pat dry with paper towels.
4. Preheat the grill to medium.
5. Remove about three-quarters of the rosemary needles from the bottom of each branch to make your skewer.
6. Thread each ingredient onto your rosemary skewer from the bottom. Leave about a quarter of the rosemary needles visible at the top. Alternative ingredients for more variety. For example, you can start with a mushroom, then add a tomato followed by mozzarella cheese and repeat the process. Try to mix / match the colors and create a balanced texture.
7. Drizzle with olive oil and add a pinch of salt.
8. Grill your kebabs on indirect heat for a few minutes on each side and pull the grill off before the cheese is soft enough to fall off the skewer, usually four minutes on each side. Be sure to read these grilling tips to understand the best cooking temperature and position on the grill when grilling with mushrooms.
9. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve warm with your picnic favorites.
10. This portabella steak is the perfect vegan substitute for steak or just a delicious recipe for portabella mushrooms. So juicy and delicious; The shape and size of the meaty portabellas make them perfect for the grill. Serve as a main course or as a filling side dish with every meal.
Did you make this recipe
Tag @montereymushrooms on Instagram and hashtag it with #montereymushrooms and #indystyle
One of the easiest ways to add excitement to a meal is to turn it into a kebab. This classic Texan dish is perfect for skewering. Avocado Ranch turns this steak and salad combination into a sensual experience. You don’t even have to ring the bell for dinner – if your cowpokes smell this food, they will gallop to the table!
Mushroom Caprese Kebabs (6 Kebabs)
If you’re a Caprese Salad fan, you know how your mouth will water at the sound of freshly cut mozzarella and tomatoes with sweet basil. Lather them up with some balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and salt and it’s heaven on a plate. Mmm, mmm, mmm.
But while we all love Caprese, the team at Monterey wanted to give Italy’s famous trio a shot. The first thing we had to do was add mushrooms – that’s what we do! We chose our Marinated Mushrooms for their rich Italian taste. We have also swapped the basil for fresh rosemary so that the twigs can be used as creative “skewers”. These herb sticks are not only decorative, but the strong rosemary taste really comes into its own. Finally we decided to take this typical cold salad and grill it. Nothing beats a little heat to bring out the hearty taste of this balsamic glaze.
Probably the simplest kebab recipe in our recipe library is a quick project – perfect for busy barbecues. If you think you are having impatient guests, start here with a grilled caprese kebab starter.
- 16 oz Monterey ® Marinated Mushrooms *
- 10 oz packet of cherry or grape tomatoes
- 10 oz packet of marinated mozzarella balls
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 6 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
* Buy jars of our Marinated Mushrooms at participating Sam’s Clubs in your area. Don’t you live near one of these grocery stores? Make your own by following our recipe for marinated mushrooms at home or substituting our Monte’s Mushroom Marinade for fresh whole mushrooms.
Please visit theproducemoms.com for more information.